Dee to the Dub

Dee to the Dub
I love the smell of molten brass in the morning....

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Best Day EVER!!!!

Ok, this actually hapened yesterday, but its still a great story.
For those that know me, know about my family. I am none too shy about chatting about my kids. Proud of them. I am probably too boastful, but, hey, thats me.My 6 year old, Julianna has had this aversion to riding her bike. Its got training wheels and everything. We've tried it a few times this summer, with her mosty being scared of falling over and it always ends in her just walking/pushing her bike around.
Yesterday, I took her to the lbs and was considering getting her the "peddle trailer" so she would use me and my bike for the balance. The owner of the shop and I were talking about how to solve this non riding issue and sure enough, he just simply asked her "what are you afraid of, whats the worst thing that can happen?" to which she replied "I will fall over and get hurt" and when she said that, he says "well, put your foot down and that will stop you from falling over" (Duh!, why she didnt listen to me the hundreds of times I told her the same thing is beyond me...)
Ok, so we get home and she see's the younger girl across the street riding her bike and decides "If she can do it, I can do it"Out comes the bike, the helmet and the positive attitude. I walked next to her (she still has training wheels) up and down the block about 4 times and then she "gets it". She starts to peddle a bit faster and not use the training wheels for balance as much.
Another hour goes by and she is doing really well and this right here is what makes it the best day....
She says to me, "Daddy, I want to be a bicycle racer!"
My heart fluttered and I might have even had a tear or two develop...tears of joy.
Its not like I havent taken her to Major Taylor Velodrome (5 miles away) so I know she knows what she is talking about.

2028 US Olympic team, watch for her. Her bike will still have "Walker" on the tubes....
DW

No comments: