Dee to the Dub

Dee to the Dub
I love the smell of molten brass in the morning....

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Enterprise Rent A Car, kiss my ass.

Yep, the title says it all. First, let me give you a back story.
I have a frequent renter number with them for about 3 years now. Whenever I travel, I use Enterprise because they had treated me very well in the past, and actually don't mind paying a few bucks more because of the treatment. Past being the key word.

As NAHBS was fast approaching back in February of this year, I reserved a car online to make the drive to Richmond, VA. I had my friend drop me off at the airport to pick up the car. I went to the car rental desk for Enterprise and paid for my car, picked up the paperwork and walked out to pik out the lucky car that was going to carry Les and I to Richmond. I meet the "lot girl" out in the sea of rental cars and I pick one out. I start signing the final copy of paperwork after the walk around and then she springs it on me; "where are you driving to?" I tell her Richmond, VA and she says "hang on, I'll be right back" and she walks into the little office in the parking lot. She comes out a few seconds later and informs me that I can only drive to states that share a border with Indiana and not pay an additional fee. As it turns out, Virginia is a couple of states away, and each state beyond the Indiana border is an additional $10 per state, per day. Take 9 days that I would have the car and 2 states beyond Kentucky and you have an additional $180 charge.

I informed her that I had never heard that rule before and she called over one of her co-w0rkers and he confirmed the rules existence. I let her know, "hey, its nothing personal, but BULL $***!" so I said "hang on a few minutes, I'll be back." I walked into the Car terminal and walked up to Thrifty. I asked the counter gal, who was all smiles when greeting me, "do you charge extra for states beyond the Indiana border?" She said "Of course not, why?" I explained that Enterprise had neglected to inform me of that when I rented the car and asked of they had any vehicles available. They did. And you know what, it was even cheaper than Enterprise. I immediately reserved a car with them (did I mention it was cheaper walking up than Enterprise's online reservation?) and then walked next to the Enterprise desk. I told the counter guy to cancel my reservation and refund my money. He did just that and asked what the problem was and I said "I'm not paying 20 bucks a day to drive beyond Kentucky. You guys have lost me as a customer".

I will still call the Enterprise main office and let them know where my blog and my ass is, and let them pucker up if they still want my business.

FWIW, I don't think they will issue an apology, which is fine with me.

DW

1 comment:

Enterprise Rent-A-Car said...

Don, we apologize for any frustration regarding the mileage available for that particular rental.

Mileage rules and any fees are set by the rental location and can be viewed when making your reservation online or explained if booking over the phone.

We hope that you'll continue to consider Enterprise for your future rental needs.

- Elizabeth with Enterprise Rent-A-Car